|Sports Museum of America (in NYC)|
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Posted by jaygross
Last week I had a great conversation with someone who works for the recently opened interactive Sports Museum in New York City (Lower Manhattan). It sounds like they have some interesting exhibits that are Hall of Fame caliber from many different sports, and they are also coordinating player appearances.
They have a good special event with John Starks, Kym Hampton, and others scheduled for Columbus Day (Monday 10/13) that I am planning to attend. I have a nice card featuring Starks and Derek Harper signed by Harper that I would like to get Starks to sign. If anyone is going to go and would like to meet up, send me an email. Anyway, here are the details about the event and museum:
Overall, they have 19 themed galleries and 2 dedicated theaters featuring 20 original films, dozens of computer and mechanical interactives and over 1,000 artifacts. They have worked through three types of sources to build our collection, including: single-sport halls of fame and national governing bodies, private collectors and the athletes themselves. They actually have some really good stories relating to building our collection. For example, Derek Jeter's mother sent his little league jersey for our Dreaming Big Gallery which focuses on the childhood dreams of today's stars. View photos of the museum.
Sports Museum of America Columbus Day Celebration: John Starks, Jennie Finch, Kym Hampton and the USA Softball Team
What: Spend Your Columbus Day at the Sports Museum of America!
Columbus Day Celebration - Special Ticket Price!
Adult Tickets $19 | Children Tickets $12
1:00-3:00 pm - Meet Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, and the rest of the USA Softball Team ('08 Summer Olympic Silver Medalists)
11:00am - 1:00pm - Enjoy a basketball lesson and autograph signing with former Knicks star John Starks and former Liberty standout Kym Hampton.
Kids can test their math skills with the MLB Math Challenge and participate in a science lesson with the New York Hall of Science.
Bring your camera and pose with some of your favorite sports mascots!
When: Monday, October 13th
11:00am – 4:00pm
Where: The Sports Museum of America
26 Broadway in Lower Manhattan
(Entrance around corner at 9 Beaver Street)
Ticket purchase required: Includes admission to the Museum, all events and activities on October 13th.
Baseball Gallery: Select Artifacts
- Lou Gehrig's 1939 game-worn Yankees jersey
- Joe DiMaggio's game-worn Yankees jersey
- Mickey Mantle's game-worn Yankees jersey
- Willie Mays' game-worn Giants jersey
- The last cap that Ted Williams ever tipped to the fans
- Don Larson's game-worn cleats, hat, and ball from his perfect game in the World Series
- Roy Campanella's 1955 MVP Award
- Last bat ever used by Jackie Robinson
- Mookie Wilson's bat used to hit ball that went through Buckner's legs
- Mike Schmidt's bat used to hit his 517th Home Run
- Game-used ball from Randy Johnson's no-hitter
- Derek Jeter's little league jersey
- Hank Aaron's bat from the 1957 All-Star game
- Homeplate from last game played at the Polo Grounds
- Satchel Paige's glove
- ball hit by Josh Gibson in the 1935 Negro League All Star Game
- 1996 World Series Trophy
PRINT | PERMALINK
Comments on blog posts can only be seen or left by Premium Subscribers. Subscribe now.